Wednesday 13 November 2013

The Birds and the Bees and Miss Moo


I had an interesting moment with my daughter (who is six) at bedtime tonight.  She was just about to drift off after having a mini Reiki treatment where we had gone over all the chakras, and their functions.  Especially curious about the Sacral chakra (governs procreation and feelings) she began to muse about how babies are made.  Like a good mother I fought my natural instinct to run from the room screaming “Not till you’re thirty!” and instead gazed down into her angelic face and asked, “Well sweets, where do you think babies come from?”  (Boo yeah!  Ball, back in her court.  No trauma for my kid). 
“Daisy” (who is her half-sister, and three years her senior) “told me that babies get born when a boy puts his privates into a girls privates.”  At this point I am clutching blanket and doing my best to keep a smile on my face despite my hyperventilation and newly discovered urge to strangle someone else’s child.  “Oh?” comes out of my mouth in four syllables, each an octave higher than the last.  “And what do you think about that?”  I visibly cringe as I await her answer in the dark. 
“That’s just dumb.”  She pronounces with finality.  “First you have to quit smoking and then the baby lives in an egg inside your tummy, but an egg with space, and maybe a part for the head any arms to stick out, so the baby isn’t bored.  But it can’t breathe in there so the baby holds its breath for a long time, and when it can’t hold its breath no more, then it’s born.”  Now to my credit I held a straight face through all of this, I didn’t even crack a cheeky grin.  Besides, you can probably imagine how I was awash in relief when I realized we weren’t quite at the age to have “that” talk. But to be honest, the part about quitting smoking was kind of hard to hear.  She has seen me try unsuccessfully to quit a number of times.  She is also very excited for a baby brother, and I tend to shoo the question away with a “Well mom has to stop smoking before she can have a baby”, so I understand her confusion. 
Now I’d like to be one of those proactive parents who doesn’t hide anything from their children, and in many ways I am very honest with her, more so than most.  This is just one of those subjects that causes me the greatest amount of personal grief and leaves me feeling unstable, no matter which route I take.  My opinions on my daughter(who is yet still a baby)’s sex life are dichotomous.  On one side of the coin, the mama-bear-rip-your-head-off-if-you-look-at-her-wrong side I want to caution her and tell her of STIs, and teenage pregnancy, and the heart-rending realization that you have been used and tossed aside like tissue.  Admittedly there is a part of me that wants her to wait until she really is thirty, in the hopes that I might discover early senility and have no idea that the deed has been done.  Of course, when you flip that coin, there is a reasonable and logical woman who wants her to experience the unbridled passion, intimacy, and heartbreaking beauty of sex.  Just not now.
The most difficult part of the whole thing, is knowing that the weight of responsibility for what she is told, and what she believes, is so much on myself.  There are “rules” for how to explain it or “ages” that kids should know what at, but at the end of the day, we are all unique, and I am flawed.  She will understand the world, and all it has to offer, in her own distinctive way.  She will sample from the plate of life, uninhibited and free.  She will fall, and be hurt, and learn the deepest of lessons, whether I will it, or no.  The only inarguable thing I can hope to really teach her is that there will always be a safe spot for her, here, in my arms. 
Now this musing occurred rather more quickly in my own head, and she still hadn’t dropped the subject of making babies when she asked if we had a little box inside us for the egg.  Taking the direct approach, I explained that we had something called a uterus inside us with two delicate tubes leading to the eggs.  Once an egg had a seed (blessedly there were no questions regarding the origin of the seed) it grew inside of the uterus, which stretched and grew right along with the baby.  “Oh” says she, “And then when the baby needs to breathe it comes out! Right mom?” I answered in the affirmative and then did something for which I have no explanation.  I should have simply kissed her forehead and bid my darling a good night.  But no, I just had to open my mouth and ask the question whose answer still makes my head spin.  “And do you know how the baby comes out?” I nonchalantly say to my child.  Doesn’t seem so bad, really, except that you have offered your dear little child the opportunity to say ANYTHING, which means that anything is what you must be prepared for.  “Of course” she says, rolling her eyes as though I am a little slow, “The baby either bursts out of the mom’s belly button, with all of her organs and stuff (but the mommy gets frozen so she doesn’t feel it) or she can have it na’chrul and the mom just has to poop the baby out her butt.”  Needless to say, I spent several moments blinking dumbly at my little angel, and attempting to form words with a talker which was no longer connected to my thinker.  I managed to get her tucked snugly off to dreamland, but here I sit wrapped in a blanket, hot cup of tea in hand, gently rocking back and forth in an effort to soothe the shattered remains of the fairy tale of her in my mind.  I have decided that I am simply going to pray that it will be some time before this naturally awkward conversation comes up again and also that I will have discovered some better methods, or just be ludicrously drunk when it happens.   

No comments:

Post a Comment